Sunday, July 5, 2015

Book Review: The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel

Cursed The Book of Ivy
by
Amy Engel
(Website|Twitter)
After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…


3 Stars

The Book of Ivy was.. Unexpected. It was not bad, but it wasn't necessarily awesome like I thought it was going to be.


Honestly, I was expecting a kick ass, action packed and romantic Dystopian read in this book. Maybe it was my fault for expecting too much, but how can I not? Just look at the premise..
"My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power."
Here was how I read it..
"My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son... blah.. blah.. blah.."
Sorry got a little bit excited with the mention of killing, the cover with a girl holding that wicked knife behind her back added to the violent idea I have in mind.

aryastark

The world practically ended when the nuclear bombing start. And so, the world of Westfalls and Lattimers began. Another war has started, this time, it was to decide who's going to lead the small group of survivors.
"President Lattimer's father was smart enough to know that peace only lasts when the unhappy side still has something left to lose."
So the Lattimer's decided that to retain peace between 2 sides, the sixteen year old boys and girls must take an husband and wife from the other side to procreate, apparently population is a big issue in this world after the word almost ended.
"It's one thing to slay your enemy, it's another thing entirely when that enemy wears you daughter's face, when the man you cut down is your own grandson."
This strategy actually works, for both side has remained peaceful.

The Westfall family doesn't think so. They want to regain the leadership, the believe they were the rightful leader as they are the founder of the group to start with. They want freedom and democracy not the dictatorial like leadership that the Lattimer's have offer. But they do not have enough follower, so the only chance? To get Ivy to kill her soon to be husband, the president's son.
"My mission is not to make him happy and bear his children and be his wife. My mission is to kill him"
Then there goes Ivy Westfall, the female lead of the story. She's ok at some point, but I find her mostly annoying. No not because she isn't anything close to a assassin and kickass heroine I have in mind, but I didn't like how she whine all throughout the book if Bishop Lattimer is worth killing for. It was annoying. I also didn't appreciate her recklessness. Ivy's supposed to be smart, but I hate how she runs her mouth like a train, she doesn't know when to shut up, which isn't smart, if you ask me.

Bishop Lattimer is different though. He's so perfect it was unbelievable, and I mean that positively. He's charming, kind and eerily calm. He's got great opinions and he supports Ivy in every possible way. Personally, I fell in love with him when he offers his library to Ivy. I mean who wouldn't like a guy who brings you to a library instead of talking you to remove your dress? I would've grab him right there and then.

The story is quite uneventful. This book focused more on the development of the romantic relationship between Ivy and Bishop. Which isn't so bad really, given that Bishop was so dreamy and all, that was why despite my disappointment, I still managed to liked this book.

The book of Ivy is a romance story set on a post apocalyptic world. Not much of a world building, I guess because their world is confine in a small land surrounded by fence. Yeah, a total divergent rip-off right there. The history stayed on a safe environment throughout the book, maybe there would be more of that in the sequel of this book, or maybe not, but I'm still looking forward to the sequel.

So maybe I should warn you. Read this book because of the romance, and not because you want to experience kickass dystopian read and you will definitely like this book. The slow development of their relationship was believable and swoon worthy.

AND THAT ENDING THOUGH! SERIOUSLY MY HEART BROKE A LITTLE! That ending just gave me a little hope that the sequel, The Revolution of Ivy, will introduce me to the world and book I was expecting for in this book.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)